Divas, rejoice, as permanent hair reduction is here in the form of the super chic Philips Lumea Comfort IPL device which promises to get rid of your body fuzz safely and easily with minimal fuss and maximum results.
Get ready to say hello to glorious, hairless, smooth skin!
Here is our in-depth review that lays bear everything you would want to know about this nifty little at home IPL hair removal device from Philips – one of the leaders in hair and body care worldwide.
I. Women spend nearly $30,000 during their entire lifetime on waxing and other hair removal methods.
II. 7,718 – The average number of times a woman shaves in her entire lifetime. (Source)
Imagine the moolah you could save if you invested a couple hundred dollars right now and got yourself the sleek and sophisticated Philips Lumea Comfort IPL hair removal device.
What would you do with the thousands of dollars that you’d eventually save if you stopped spending money at costly waxing salons and stocking up on shaving products?
The thought does excite, doesn’t it?
There are zillions of ways of removing body and facial hair that are popular right now and it can all get a tad confusing at times.
What’s right and what’s wrong; what’s safe and what’s not; what’s expensive and what’s budget-friendly, and so many more queries that the mind simply boggles!
Who would have thought that something that constitutes as basic hygiene could be so complicated….or so expensive.
Well, fret not, as help is at hand.
What Did Philips Do?
Philips actually paid heed to the reviews of over 2000 women and worked in collaboration with skincare experts for over 10 years to design a uniquely different type of IPL. They have actually made safe the permanent hair removal laser machines used by the professionals in salons and brought them to the comfort and privacy of your home in the form of deceptively cute-looking IPL devices.
These hair removal gadgets look similar to your regular epilator but they are far more innovative than that. Using quick pulses of light to zap at the hair follicle, IPL at-home hair removal devices are a tad different to the direct approach that laser hair gadgets work with. Check out our article on IPL vs Laser Hair Removal here.
Forget costly laser permanent hair removal treatments at salons and at the doctor, and the intrusive, potentially scarring electrolysis procedures; take care of your body hair in the privacy and comfort of your home quickly and easily.
Now, the only question would be – is the Philips Lumea Comfort IPL the right at home permanent laser hair reduction device for you, or not?
Read on and find out!
Philips Lumea Comfort IPL
It’s small, it’s discrete, it’s smooth and its very chic – that’s the Philips Lumea Comfort for you.
This compact, hair removal gadget is a beauty lover’s dream come true as it is the lightest of all the IPL devices from Philips.
The operation is simple enough and comes with a built-in skin tone sensor which ensures that your skin tone is suitable for use. It’s aptly labeled as the ‘no-frills’ IPL device as this model is basic but super VFM – that’s value for money, for the uninitiated.
Very practical, with an integrated UV filter, this mid-range hair removing product can be used easily on even the most sensitive areas of your body, without fuss or pain. You have 5 levels of cool-to-the-touch pulse settings to choose from.
There are no replacement parts to worry about as it doesn’t need any, unlike other IPL and laser at-home permanent hair reduction tools out there. Plus, you get a 180-day trial satisfaction guarantee which is quite handy as that leaves you with a long period of trying out your Lumea Comfort to your heart’s content. If it doesn’t work out for you, you can always claim that guarantee.
Good enough? Definitely.
Let’s check out the specs now and find out what’s in the box of one of the best laser hair removal at home gadgets in the market right now.
- Comes with the Lumea Comfort IPL device
- You get 135 full body hair removal treatments for 6+ years
- You can do your underarms in less than 3 minutes.
- Your leg will take less than 20 minutes.
- The Lumea Comfort is suitable for all sorts of treatment, especially for smaller and sensitive body areas.
- Philips claims up to 75% hair reduction in just 4 treatments.
What’s in the box?
When you get yourself the gorgeous Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System, this is what you’ll get in the package:
- Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal Device
- A 24V power adapter
- Quick start guide
- User manual
- A cleaning cloth
Unlike some at-home permanent hair reduction systems, the Lumea Comfort is one baby that works straight out of the box. They did promise us no-frills, remember?
No parts, no attachments to wrap your head around, no replacements lamps to worry about and no extra stress of any sort.
It’s as good as grabbing it and going at it. (Though we highly recommend to control your enthusiastic impulses for the moment and read the user guide and manual before you attempt at any sort of IPL hair removal.)
This uber-quality hair removal gadget from Phillips is top-notch stuff and we are definitely impressed.
The Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System is one of the lightest and most compact devices around. It’s ease-of-use and simplicity along with its integrated safety system – a precaution against unintentional flashes – make it a popular in-demand product for girls looking to de-fuzz for good.
This compact permanent hair removal device has a great comfy grip that doesn’t tire your hand out.
The Lumea Comfort emits gentle light pulses which create enough heat at your hair follicles to send them into a deep resting phase. This results in your hair shedding naturally and your skin becoming smooth as a baby’s bottom, with nearly zero regrowth.
The design shouts sleekness and simplicity. It can be maneuvered smoothly to be glided on your body and face (chin, sideburns and upper lip only).
This is a versatile device that looks expensive and does the job well.
Another thing we like: the cord, as that means no juicing it up every time the batteries run dry.
Since there is no requirement of any replacements parts to worry about, unlike most of the other best at home laser hair removal systems in the market, you just need an upfront budget for this smart gadget.
Features & Functions
Skin tone sensor – automatically detects the tone of your skin and checks it before the first IPL flash for suitability. If not compatible or unsafe, it locks it and will not flash.
Since many IPL devices are not safe for very dark skin or for very light hair, this built-in safety sensor is a smart precautionary idea to prevent any mishaps from taking place.
- Integrated UV filter – The integrated UV filter is a layer of insulation and protection against the sunlight damage to your skin from the harmful UV rays. This, along with the skin tone sensor, prevents any inadvertent misuse from occurring during your treatments.
These safety features are necessitated by the fact that the number of flashes is limited, so any unwanted flashes must be avoided to save those. Although you needn’t worry on that account, the Philips IPL Lumea Comfort offers you more than 200,000 flashes of light. So, it is intended to last you for a good many years.
- 5 light intensity settings – There is an energy level that’s perfect for your skin. You need to try them to know which one works best for you. Use the highest setting which is the most comfortable for you for optimal results. Usually, the lower energy levels are meant for darker skin tones.
Once you use this pretty hair removal IPL device a few times you’ll get the hang of it and find the power level that suits you the best.
- Slide and flash mode – you know those mornings when you are already behind on your schedule and have just 5 minutes extra for your skincare regime? Well, glide your sleek permanent hair reduction gadget on your underarms, or your arms and de-fuzz in 5 minutes or less! This mode promises smooth and continuous application so you can glide over larger body areas quickly and easily.
- Stamp mode – this is perfect for smaller or sensitive areas that need a bit of help in tackling all the hair properly. You need a precise touch for when your getting rid of hair on your chin or your bikini line, and the ‘step and flash’ stamp mode gives you the easy maneuvering you need when handling tricky areas.
- No replacement parts necessary – we have talked about this a couple times now but it is such a hassle and stress-free feature of this permanent hair reduction device from Philips that it bears another mention…or two!
If you’re concerned about running out of flashes, then don’t be. This world-renowned skincare brand promises you up to 6 years of full body treatments!
- 200,00 flashes – Need we talk again about more than adequate number of flashes to last you a solid 6+ years and longer? Enough said.
- Speed and treatment timings – The Philips Lumea Comfort is not considered one of the best at home IPL gadgets for nothing. With an average sized 2.7cm2 treatment window, which takes nearly 3.5 seconds between flashes, this smooth device can glide over your both your armpits and leave you hairless in under 3 minutes.
The good folks at Phillips say it takes less than 20 minutes to treat both legs. So, that means you can do your leg in between commercials on your favorite tv show. Easy peasy, right? Larger body areas could feel a tad tiresome so taking breaks is recommended, or you could do them in different sessions.
- 60 day money back guarantee – and a worldwide 2 year warranty on the replacement lamp.
- 1.8 meter cord – maneuvering your Lumea Comfort shouldn’t be an issue with the generously long cord attached to it.
Is the Philips Lumea Comfort Good Value for Money?
We are glad you asked that as the Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System will provide you with a solid 540,000 cm2 of body treatments. Roughly translated, this could mean about 4500 pairs of armpit treatments, or about 135 or so complete body treatments to last you 6+ years.
The treatment window is 2.7 cm2 and the 200,000 flashes are enough for removing hair and maintaining a hair-free body for good. We are looking at 8+years of monthly top-up treatments. That’s much more than what you’ll need.
Because according to clinical trials by Philips, the Lumea Comfort has shown to reduce hair regrowth after just ONE treatment.
Who Can Use The Philips Lumea Comfort IPL?
Unfortunately, IPL isn’t for everyone. Depending on your skin tone and hair color the Philips Lumea Comfort might not be the best fit for you.
Check the table below to see if Philips Lumea is right for you.
The suitable hair colors are:
- Dark brown
- Dark blonde
The suitable skin tones are:
- Light or fair
- Olive and wheatish
- Light brown to mid-brown
What is not compatible with the IPL Lumea Comfort?
Hair – light blonde, red, white, and grey hair are a strict no-no.
Skin Tones – anything from dark brown to brownish black and other darker skin tones is not feasible for this permanent hair reduction gadget from Philips.
Freckles and moles are also a hindrance to effective hair removal.
One of the biggest issues that trouble consumers about the Lumea Comfort Hair Removal IPL at-home device is the skin tone limitations imposed by it.
But what you need to understand is that this is for your own protection. Anyone who isn’t compatible with the allowed hair colors and skin tones could face severe burns or cause skin pigmentation. Plus, it would be a good waste of your time and money by investing in a gadget that’s no good for you
Using the Philips Lumea Comfort for Achieving Optimal Results
- Shave your skin before starting the treatment.
- Choose the power level that is comfortable for your skin tone and place the contact surface right on the spot you want hair defuzzed from.
- Once the warning light gets blinking, which means your position is perfect, the skin tone sensor will then check for compatibility with your skin tone and hair color.
- If it is approved you can press flash and the IPL will zap at your hair follicle. If it’s not suitable, the IPL just won’t work. That’s the safety feature for you.
- Use the stamping mode for precision or the slide and glide mode for a continuous application to remove body hair.
- Repeat the treatment on the same spot every 2 weeks or so for the initial 4-5 IPL treatments.
- During the resting phase, your hair will shed naturally, and the regrowth will be severely inhibited.
- Remember that every body type and hair growth rate is different, so you may have to repeat the treatments more or less than the suggested number.
Philips Lumea Comfort At Home IPL Hair Removal System – The Pros
The Philips Lumea has been enjoying an average of a 4 out of 5 rating at most consumer review sites due to its sheer number of satisfied customers. That’s a great score for a hair reduction tech gadget!
Here are the benefits that make this a wonderful laser at home hair removal system.
Literally painless – if you compare it to waxing or plucking or even threading, the Lumea Comfort is virtually painless. If you do have a very low pain threshold, or experience some pain in a sensitive area like the bikini line, just apply a numbing cream that you can grab from your local drug store.
Ease of use – it couldn’t be easier to use an at-home DIY hair removal IPL device. This is an idiot-proof product that even your granny can use easily. It’s just that simple.
Super low price point – if you calculate the staggering rates that a laser or IPL treatment costs at a doctor’s clinic or at a high-end salon, the investment of a couple hundred dollars for years of full-body usage feels wonderful. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has averaged the cost of getting a laser treatment at an expensive salon to be in the range of $329 or so.
So, wouldn’t you want to remove body hair in the comfort and privacy of your home, where it is the most convenient for you, while you save megabucks in the long run?
- Safety features – a skin tone sensor and an integrated UV filter that protect your skin from damage and burns, as well as from any harmful UV rays.
- Compact design with a solid grip – the no-frills Lumea Comfort is built for ease and style, without fuss or pain. It looks sophisticated, has a very comfy grip and storing it is as easy as tossing it in a pouch, or a bag for later use.
- Precision perfection for small areas – consumers have really loved using this sleek device for removing hair from sensitive and smaller areas. It makes a delicate or painful task easy and smooth. The stamp mode is a wonderful help here. The stop-and-go motion allows you to target all the pesky hair, while turning the gadget as you see fit.
- Durability and longevity – think 200,000 flashes or 6 years of full body treatments.
- Replacement parts not needed – this means no extra investment required from you as well as a hassle-free usage for years.
- Use it all over your body – bikini line, armpits, behind the thighs, torso – de-fuzz anywhere and everywhere as the Lumea Comfort is completely safe and reliable.
- Slide and flash mode – easy, prolonged and continuous application makes this mode a genius idea.
- 5 adjustable power levels – whatever floats your body’s boat is the right setting for you. Experiment with all and settle on the one that fits your skin tone and hair color.
- Corded, mains-powered gadget – the Philips permanent hair reduction device has a long cord which erases the hassle of recharging batteries. This mains-powered gadget just needs you to find a comfy corner to plug it in and you’re good to go.
- Regular treatments guarantee hair reduction – the frequency of shaving reduces after every few treatments and soon the hair will become so sparse that shaving will become redundant. Women have experienced hair reduction after just ONE treatment.
Philips Lumea Comfort At Home IPL Hair Removal System – The Cons
Let’s face it -not everyone’s body is made for an IPL device. But even then, the negative reviews are on the low side. Most are from people who realize after purchasing the Philips system that the device just isn’t suitable for their skin tone and hair color.
That is why it is crucial that you check the skin tone and hair color chart before you buy the Philips Lumea Comfort.
So, if you have a lot of tattoos, moles, freckles, skin infections and other similar issues, talk to their superb customer service executives before dishing out your credit card details.
Okay, so now the cons!
- The cord – yes, we know we listed it as a pro. But the thing is, some chicas are not corded gadget fans and would prefer the mobility and portability of a battery-laden IPL hair removal device.
- Treatments can be tedious – again, this is not a ‘con’ con, it is more of a personal perception issue. So, if your grievance with the system is that it is not as fast as shaving, just remember that the more treatments you do the less regrowth you will have. Trust me, your future self will thank you!
- Some areas are difficult to maneuver around – knees and shins, I’m looking at you!
- Skin tone sensor doesn’t select your intensity level – well, I for one would rather choose the power level I find most comfortable, instead of a machine choosing for me. So, this is a pro in my opinion. But some women beg to differ.
Questions about the Philips Lumea Comfort Hair Reduction System
Q.1 – Will IPL hurt me?
A -Honestly, it would be quite difficult to name one single permanent or temporary hair removal method that doesn’t hurt someone somewhere. Every body type and personal pain tolerance levels differ. What could be painful for one, could be a breeze for another. Having said that, the Lumea Comfort has been reviewed as one of the least pain-causing permanent hair reduction gadgets on the market.
Q.2 – When should I use my IPL device?
A- First off, follow directions! Shave properly. Then use your Lumea Comfort after carefully reading the user guide. All the timings and techniques are mentioned there. There are limits on how long you can use the IPL gadget on certain areas of your body and face. For instance, the delicate skin of your face can only withstand 1 minute of usage at a time. Your legs can be done for 8 minutes each.
Usually, treatments done once every 2 weeks work nicely for most women for any body area. You can expect 75% hair reduction after just 4 treatments, or in multiple settings over the course of 2 months. Of course, it differs from one person to another.
Q. 3 – What are the side-effects of the system?
A – There are no side-effects as such but know that you are using a tool that creates focused heat on your body’s skin, so always follow instructions and treat the system as well as your body with respect. Don’t overdo it. Don’t avoid the manual. And you will be good.
The Philips Lumea Comfort at-home DIY laser hair removal system is an iconic example of a permanent hair reduction system that is keeping both men and women across the globe free from pesky hair, and their bodies smooth and gloriously hair-free.
It is a hands-down excellent, no-frills, no-fuss, pretty looking permanent hair reduction tool that causes virtually no pain and is super easy on the pocket, as compared to the other brands in the market.
It’s awesome for smaller treatment areas like your face and underarms, and works fine for larger areas too. You get several years worth of treatments.
Basically, it gets the job done. Period.
If you want an attractive looking hair removal device that’s easy to use, budget-friendly and gets results, buy the Lumea Comfort and be done with it.